TED’s sports lawyers provide legal services for both sporting organisations and individual athletes facing the unique challenges of playing professional or amateur sport.
Each face their own set of legal issues that impact their sporting lives, ranging from the legal ways to set up and manage a team or club, to licensing, sponsorship, insurance issues, tax regulations, employment law, communication with stakeholders and management of player/club procedures with regard to keeping fit and healthy.
Our sports lawyers provide assistance for athletes and sporting organisations by providing legal advice for:
- Media and broadcast compliance
- Drafting of sponsorship agreements
- Trademark protection
- Merchandising law
- Sports endorsements
- Advice on the best way to handle injuries
- Protection of intellectual property for teams, athletes and sporting events, including the usage of names, logos, images and signage.
- Marketing compliance for advertising and promotion – including the best way to run competitions/promotions to comply with gaming legislation.
- Public liability law for sporting venues – including guidelines for safety.
- Commercial/business transactions – including ticketing and financial transfers
- Advice for player and team security – to protect players and fans.
- Sports governance – including advice on the Corporations Act; setting up business entities; drafting constitutional laws/by-laws; and advice for club directors.
- Advice on matters involving performance enhancing drugs – including assistance with drafting anti-doping policies and legal representation for athletes in court.
Our clients include sporting organisations, athletes, event organisers, teams, agents, government agencies and sponsors of sporting events.